Here are some of the questions most often asked by new students.

How quickly can I complete my degree?

Most programs are designed to be completed in two years.

Students have a five-year time limit for completing graduate programs. Ask an advisor to help you develop your timeline for completion.

Why do I need to submit my transcripts?

UMGC requires you to provide proof that you meet the admission requirements of the graduate program you applied to. Some programs may have additional admission requirements and may request other documents. Official transcripts must be submitted by the end of the first term. Please visit for information on how to submit transcripts to UMGC.

When will my grades post? How can I view my grades?

Final course grades must be posted by your faculty member in MyUMGC, typically beginning 72 hours (three days) after the last day of class. You can view your grades in Academic History in MyUMGC. Military students need to check both their MyUMGC and military portals. It can take 24–48 hours for grades to post in military portals after they've been posted in MyUMGC.

Which courses should I take next? How many courses do I have remaining? Do I have to take the remaining courses in a particular order?

Each graduate program has specific requirements. Please discuss the requirements with your advisor or the department.

What are my options for dropping or withdrawing from a course?

A drop means that the course will not appear on the student's transcript, and the tuition and non-application fees will be fully refunded. Students taking courses through UMGC are permitted to drop a course within a designated timeframe, listed in the Academic Calendar.

A withdrawal means that students will receive a "W" grade for the course and will be responsible for all fees and all or a portion of the tuition. After the drop period has passed, students taking courses through UMGC are permitted to withdraw from a course until 65 percent of the course has been completed (see the Academic Calendar for specific withdrawal deadlines and applicable dates). Please refer to the withdrawal policies in Asia and Europe for specific information about the timeframe to withdraw from course offerings in the overseas divisions.

You can drop or withdraw from a course through MyUMGC, but you should be aware that doing so may affect your financial aid and your academic progress status.

If you are receiving financial aid, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to find out how dropping a class may affect your aid. If you are receiving tuition assistance or veterans benefits, you should contact Military and Veteran Advising to find out how dropping a class may affect your benefits. You can request an exception to the university's drop and withdrawal and refund policies if you feel there are extenuating circumstances. In such cases, complete the Request for Exception Form. Requests for exceptions are reviewed by the Office of the Registrar.

Registration for the next term generally opens four months before the term's first session. Registration at opens 60 days before the first day of class.

How do I change my program?

You can submit a request to change your program to an academic advisor. However,  you should first discuss the change with an advisor to see how it may affect your degree progress. Army students must make this change in the GoArmyEd portal, but should contact a military advisor first.

How do I complete external certification programs, such as a Project Management Professional (PMP) credential, a real-estate license, or CPA?

You should directly contact the institution granting the credential for information about qualifications and criteria. Courses at UMGC can provide content for some of these programs, but the completion of a UMGC degree does not grant an external certification.

Is UCSP 615 required?

Yes, UCSP 615 is required within the first 6 credits of graduate study for all new graduate students. This course is an introduction to the skills and techniques needed to successfully complete a graduate program at UMGC. For military or veterans this may be an out-of-pocket expense.

Can I use my military tuition assistance to complete a second master's degree?

No. If you've already earned a master's degree, the military will not pay for another master's degree.

How do I submit proof of my military status?

For details on what to submit, visit Information can be sent to or by FAX to 240-684-2153 (Army students using GoArmyEd do not need to submit this documentation).

How long does it take for updates to post in the military portals?

All updates from UMGUC take 24–48 hours to post in military portals.

Is my UMGC ID the same as my GoArmyEd ID?

No. Your UMGC EmplID is unique to UMGC. To locate your UMGC ID, log in to MyUMGC. Your Student ID appears in the upper right corner of the screen underneath your name. GoArmyEd has a separate EmplID that UMGC does not recognize.

Can I use my veterans benefits to complete a second bachelor's or master's degree?

Yes. If you have already earned a bachelor's or master's degree, you may use your veterans benefits to pay for a second bachelor's or master's degree if you have benefits remaining. To find out how much of your veterans benefits you have remaining, please contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or visit

Technical assistance

Go to or 888-360-8682.

quotes-icon"Study hard. Ask for help. Be patient. Don't give up. Be proud. Always smile."

Renee Campbell '12
MS, Management (Human Resource Management specialization)