Speakers and Singer
A keynote speaker will offer reflections and congratulations to graduates at the university's virtual commencement.
The virtual ceremony will feature a short live program on May 15 starting at noon eastern time. The viewing link will be emailed to all graduates a few days before the ceremony and posted on our commencement homepage.
The keynote and other speeches will be viewable on demand following the live program. For the full press release regarding UMGC's commencement speakers, visit our Global Media Center on May 3.
Eligible graduates are encouraged to apply to deliver the student speech at 2021 Virtual Stateside Spring Commencement. The speech is a UMGC tradition and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to acknowledge and congratulate your fellow graduates.
To qualify, you must be eligible to participate in spring commencement (i.e., be a winter 2021 graduate or spring 2021 graduation candidate). You must also meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA (as of February 15) of 3.0 for undergraduate students and 3.5 for graduate students
- Be in good disciplinary standing (i.e., have no record of academic integrity or code of conduct violations)
- Not have any overdue balances (e.g., you must be current if on payment plan)
Student speakers will
- Prepare a five-minute speech that will inspire, motivate, and encourage everyone watching
- Offer words of thanks to the faculty, family, and friends whose support has kept the graduates motivated and encouraged
- Participate in preceremony speech revisions and coaching sessions
Selected finalists will be invited to audition. Those who are not chosen as the student speaker will be invited to record a short video vignette to be featured as part of virtual commencement.
SING THE ALMA MATER
As an eligible graduate, you're invited to audition to perform the UMGC Alma Mater during the ceremony. Your performance will make a memorable contribution to commencement.